Yes, you do need an expert plumber if you are experiencing plumbing troubles. For sewer lines and leaky faucets, you need a repair and replacement specialist. But there are still a few hacks that you must be aware of to maintain the longevity of your fixtures. A well-maintained plumbing line may develop faults as well, but it is always a great idea to try at first.
Let us have a look at what you can do before you call a plumber,
The proverbial “don’t blow the gasket”
You need to replace a blown gasket. There might be water leaking from the shower head or the faucets. The chances are it is due to a defective washer or the seat within the body. As long as you have isolation valves installed, you fix this all by yourself. Isolate the water and disassemble the handle, take out the water and re-install it with the new piece. For many major replacements and repair call in an expert service like the A1 Plumbers Sewer Line Repair & Replacement.
If you have water seeping into your property, all you need to do is trace the source of the leak. If you can observe the leaking source, half your job is done. Check if it is a valve so that you can give it a tightening with simple tools. Use a wrench; buy a set as they come in handy all the time.
Taking care of the sump pump
A sump pump protects the interior of the house from being flooded. If the interior gets flooded, it will lead to mold growth. There are a few things that you can do to maintain the efficiency of your sump pump. These are as follows,
- You can clean the inlet screen periodically; every three months
- Plug in the pump as often as possible
- Test the pump after every few months; by pouring water into the pump basin and ensuring that the pump starts
Taking care of the toilet
You can take care of the clogged drains and sewer by making yourself and your family aware of what cannot be washed down the toilet bowl. Here is a list of the “do-not-flush” items.
- Female hygiene products, even if it says they are flushable
- The paper towels
- Any toys or food items
- Cotton balls, clothing items, and ashtray debris
- Grease and cooking oil
You can additionally install a lid-lock of you have kids at your place.
Now, there are certainly major problems when you require a plumber. Here is a list of key considerations that you should make before hiring a specific service. Consult Angie’s list for the best expert in your area. But before that,
- Get hold of a few quotes from various services
- Check the licensure and the insurance certifications of the plumbing service
- Plumber fees including the travel time
- About special costs including cutting walls and electrical work if any
- A guarantee of the work and the parts
The effort you put in around the house counts for every buck you save with plumbing maintenance and replacement work.