*/ ?> Tesco Horsemeat Scandal | Global Cool

So hungry you could eat a horse? Think twice before heading to your local supermarket

on in Lifestyle

Because eating yummy food doesn’t have to cost the Earth…


We’re sure you were as appalled as we were to hear the latest revelations about supermarket burgers and one of their mane ingredients (apologies for the pun, we can’t resist). In case you’ve been living under a rock recently we’ll give you a quick debrief: many of the country’s biggest supermarket chains — including Tesco, Lidl, Iceland and Aldi — have revealed that they’ve been selling beef burgers containing *shudder* horse meat.

But now it’s come to light that horse meat isn’t the worst thing you could find in your supermarket meat. After reading an article by Joanna Blythman of What To Eatwe discovered some things we had to share with you. Anyone with a queasy stomach should seriously stop reading now…

Large supermarket chains put an enormous amount of pressure on suppliers to keep prices as low as possible, and so in turn the suppliers end up using cheaper and cheaper ingredients in their meat to keep costs down. Anything made from processed meat (like burgers or  mince) are likely to be “padded out” with other ingredients, with even the most expensive burger containing only 80% actual meat. The other 20% could be a mixture of animal fat, additives, stabilisers, preservative and soya bulk (or in layman’s terms, a whole load of nasties).

As prices drop, so does the percentage of actual meat content too, with economy burgers containing as low as 59% meat.  And the worst part is that this meat content percentage is allowed to include MRM or mechanically recovered meat, which is basically  “little more than a pink slurry produced by grinding every last remnant from the animal’s carcass under high pressure.” Excuse us while we go and throw up now.

So what’s the solution? How do you avoid this horrible list of chemical nasties and stomach-turning ingredients? Fill your body with the good stuff and make sure you’re eating a balanced diet of healthy and organic food. Obviouslt we’d rather you become a veggie or tried being a flexitarian and kick the meat habit completely. But if you really can’t give up the meat then choose organic and you’ll know exactly what’s going into our body. It’s better for the environment and much healthier for you too.

If you’d rather not be chowing down on my Lidl pony (sorry, we can’t help it) it’s time to go organic!

Even Hammy the hamster knows organic is better…

frankensteinHere comes the science bit…

GC articles show you one of four ways (the one in bold) to live greener…

/ Be a winner (not a binner) /
/ Turn up the style (not the heat) /
/ Love the trend (not the spend) /
Do it in public (not the car/plane) /

Pic: carterse

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

Be sociable, share this article...